Thursday, July 19, 2018

Lewis Mission Moment: Welcome Home Carley


“All that I hope to be, the Lewis community has inspired in me: passion for service, advocacy for justice, love of community, and an undying excitement for learning."

At the age of 17, Carley Maupin (’19) stepped foot onto the Lewis campus for the first time. A compassionate girl with a dream – and an unmistakable competitive edge – she had a number of universities she could have chosen, but the moment she came to Lewis, she felt at home.

Even though Carley knew she was in the right place, she didn’t fully understand what Lewis was all about until she became a student and an active member of the Lewis community.

“Each year I see myself as a LaSallian even more,” Carley explains. “My professors have helped me to see that I can do bigger things at a larger scale if I push myself and face the challenges ahead.”

Doing “bigger things” while living out the LaSallian mission is exactly what Carley has been doing. Carley is working towards identifying treatments that will benefit those who have been victim to sexual violence. Through her current internship as a Student Researcher at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, she is researching the relationship between sexual violence and a person’s wellness over time. Essentially, she is trying to predict how individuals who have experienced sexual violence may react to different interventions. Carly’s unique experience will have a ripple effect on countless lives.

Carley is confident: “We can make the world a better place,” she states. But she knows that she isn’t doing it alone.

“I’m able to have opportunities at Lewis such as this internship because of the generosity of others,” the soon-to-be-college-senior says. “I’m very humbled and grateful for the opportunities donors have made possible.” Because someone believed in her enough to grant her a scholarship, Carley is doing big things, with dreams of continuing on to graduate school, becoming a LaSallian volunteer, or joining the Peace Corps. Her future is bright and open – and she fully intends to pay it back.

“At some point in my life, I’m going to be one of them,” Carley says, referring to the donors who helped her.

No matter where Carley goes to make an impact, she will remember Lewis as “home.”  Students who care, turn into alumni who care. Good Luck in all your research and living out the Lasallian mission, Carley!

No comments:

Post a Comment