Friday, August 3, 2018

Lewis Mission Moment: Will Riley '18 - The Future Starts With Us



Will is an Aviation major, President of the Student Senate, and an Illinois Student Laureate. While his academic achievements are plenty, those aren’t the only qualities that make Lewis University proud to have him as a student – and in December, an alumnus.

I believe that God has put me on the earth for more than just to have a successful career in aviation administration. I believe I am supposed to give back to my community as well. As I drive down the street of my neighborhood, I wonder if I can help change it for the better. Lewis University has reaffirmed my commitment and trust in God to know that I can, whether mentoring the young or helping the elderly. I believe we all have a place in which to give back to our community. I am very grateful for the opportunity to learn, and to be a part of something bigger.”

When Will was only six-years-old, he went on a plane ride with a Tuskegee airman. From that day forward he fell in love with aviation. It’s not his only passion though – Will is committed to paving a path for the next generation of college students.

“I grew up in a neighborhood where most people don’t get college degrees,” Riley said. “My education has changed my life and it is my goal to be a mentor to children in my neighborhood and help them follow their dreams.”

Will is following the guidance of St. John Baptist De La Salle, who said: “Follow the inspirations that come to you from God.” (Letter 86 - to an unnamed Brother, date unknown).

Read more about Will or watch his story on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment