Monday, October 5, 2020

Lewis Mission Moment: Liz Anderson '19

Having grown up with a Catholic education and a strong sense of community, Liz felt that the Lewis Mission was a true reflection of her personal values and beliefs from the moment she stepped foot on campus.

“It was the perfect fit for me! I was a few classes away from earning my associate degree somewhere else; however, I took the risk and jumped into the Radio-TV Broadcasting program right away, because Lewis truly felt like home,” said Liz.

Although she was a transfer student and only spent a few semesters on campus, Liz quickly became involved on campus. This motivation to get involved was fueled by her eagerness to strengthen her spirituality and her drive to create change. Liz was an active member of University Ministry, through which she traveled to the Philippines and participated in several retreats. She also was a member of the Black Student Union, worked for Lewis University Police Department, served as the Promotions Director for WLRA, and was the Executive Producer of Lewis Life – a segment for LUTN that highlighted students across campus.

Liz felt supported by so many members of the Lewis community, which only served as affirmation that she was in the right place. She had many unique experiences and opportunities at Lewis that not only allowed – but also encouraged – her to learn, grow, and explore. One in particular was the day she was invited to participate in the Faith Behind Bars service-learning course with Dr. Christie Billups in order to capture some highlights for a Lewis Life segment.

“Being a part of that class really opened my eyes and put things into perspective for me,” Liz said. “It really brought the Mission to life and allowed me to see that we have a personal and social responsibility to respect one another. I was able to connect with these inmates, listen to their stories, and realize that no matter what their past looks like, they are human beings and should be treated as such.”

This class and other community-based experiences were just the beginning for Liz. “I am just getting started! I want to stay at Lewis and do more – make a bigger impact.”

And she is doing just that! Liz graduated from Lewis and recently accepted a position to work as a graduate assistant in the Office of Community Engaged Learning while pursuing her master’s degree in Organizational Leadership.

“Being part of the Lewis community, and the Lasallian network as a whole, has been a great opportunity for me. One that I never went looking for, but one that had been looking for me. I feel like this is the path I was meant to be on. I treat the Lewis Mission as a personal guideline and use it as a foundation in all that I do. I know I can make a difference in the world, and Lewis is giving me a chance to continue to do that starting right here on campus.”

No comments:

Post a Comment